Optimize geological interpretation through structural restoration and balancing.
The SKUA™ Kine3D™ structural analysis tool restores 3D basin and reservoir models in complex areas where seismic data is scarce or of poor quality.
KINE3D IS AN INTEGRAL PART OF THESE EMERSON E&P SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS:
As part of the SKUA toolset, Kine3D dramatically simplifies and accelerates the 3D restoration process by applying geologic, lithologic and geomechanical parameters to restore models to their undeformed state in both 2D and 3D. The process validates structural interpretations and geometries with embedded geologic constraints.
Kine3D features include:
- Shortening and extension analysis
- Multi-surface restoration
- Cross-section interpretation and restoration
- 2D surface restoration
- 3D volume restoration
- Easy 4D basin model grid construction. Basin analysis leads to a better understanding of source rock location, migration paths and potential traps.
- Paleo-geometry calculation of the basin, an essential quantification step for prospect validation.
UNRAVELING GEOLOGICAL HISTORY
Kine3D uses a workflow approach to unravel the geological history of a basin and the migration of hydrocarbons within it. The SKUA Kine3D workflow adds geomechanical constraints to SKUA models and uses a fine element (FE) geomechanical code to sequentially restore subsurface models. You gain a better understanding of a fracture’s origin through reconstruction of the source rock burial environment, geometry of carrier beds, structures versus time, and strain and stress field for fracture modeling.
Geoscientists use SKUA Kine3D multi-platform capabilities to assess basin fluid migration and fracture distribution within the reservoir model and to validate subsurface models. Seamless integration with Paradigm SeisEarth™ multi-survey interpretation and SKUA-based modeling applications saves valuable time and increases the reliability of assessment information.
Additional benefits of Kine3D include:
- SKUA with Kine3D enables sequential restoration of basin grids from the present date to its depositional time.
- Using the Epos™ database, Kine3D can build 3D surfaces and solids from GeoSec™ data and perform 3D volumetric restorations.
KINE3D RESTORATION TOOLS
- Kine3D-1 highlights incoherencies that may be missed in classic geometrical relationships, as a result of top-to-bottom geometrical relationships, fault-horizon incompatibilities and strain evolution. Use this tool to project available data onto a cross section, construct and correct structurally consistent horizons in 2D, and report the improvement in the 3D model.
- Kine3D-2 performs multi-surface and cross section restoration for further model validation. The unfolding methods in Kine3D-2 include simple shear, fault shear, flexural slip, isopach, anisopach, pin line and free. Use this tool to restore a series of layers. Start by restoring the top surface of each layer sequentially using simple shear or minimal deformation flattening methods. Then, let other surfaces of the model honor the same deformation.
- Kine3D-3 performs sequential 3D volume restoration of the subsurface layers. Combining Kine3D-3 and SKUA greatly simplifies the construction of the layered model and eliminates the need to construct a series of finite element models. Each layer of the 3D model can be sequentially uncompacted and automatically uneroded. Use this tool to construct 4D basin models, including decompaction and re-incorporation of eroded volumes, to study basin maturity and fluid migrations. This thorough analysis is integral for averting risks when making drilling decisions for complex structures.
All Epos™-based applications enable interoperability with third-party data stores, including:
- RESQML 2.0.1
- OpenWorks® R5000.10
- Petrel* 2019 & 2018
- Recall™ 5.4.2
*is a mark of Schlumberger