Model Driven Interpretation (MDI) is integrated into RMS™ structural modeling, setting it apart from traditional seismic interpretation methods. MDI provides solutions to the common industry challenges of geologic risk assessment and productivity by providing new tools to capture and quantify uncertainty in interpretation and integrate these measurements into modeling workflows.
Model Driven Interpretation Benefits
- Capture uncertainty while interpreting - Instead of creating a single surface, RMS can create multiple surfaces from uncertainty estimation, giving the user the flexibility to choose the right one.
- Interpreting areas where seismic data is of poor quality - Auto tracking may not be helpful for picking in areas where seismic data is of poor quality. MDI provides a bigger uncertainty range, when auto tracking fails to pick points. Manual picking provides better results by using the interpreter's logic to decide where the reflector might be.
- Increased efficiency through rapid update of structural models by taking the edited, or newly picked points during interpretation as input to update existing structural models.
- Minimum data points to create a horizon (automatic horizon mapping) offers the best use of data.
- The ability to visualize the automatically depth converted model while interpreting enhances interpreter confidence.
Model Driven Interpretation Features
- Structural modeling can be done while interpreting. Through automatic horizon mapping, setting the truncation rules and grid resolution, and by linking to events, RMS provides a unique opportunity for geo-modelers to build structural models on the fly.
- Structure uncertainty can be analyzed by capturing fault and horizon uncertainties while interpreting seismic data..
- Agile surfaces provide instant feedback to the user to ensure that the interpretation is representative of the data, and responds in real time to user interaction.
- The ability to update the structural model locally through MDI allows easy modification of the existing structural model within the defined area.
- RMS converts the picked points or surface to time/depth by selecting a velocity model in the interpretation Edit mode. This is a unique solution which is unavailable in any competitive software package.