SKUA-GOCAD LGR and Upscaling
The SKUA-GOCAD™ LGR and Upscaling workflow provides a systematic yet flexible approach to grid coarsening, grid refining (including local grid refinement/LGR) and property upscaling.
Blocks of cells to be refined or coarsened are automatically identified using key features of the model, such as faults, wells and fluid contacts.
A wide range of upscaling methods is offered to upscale discrete (e.g. facies), static (e.g. porosity) and dynamic (permeability) properties from the geological model to the simulation model.
Grid coarsening honors geological heterogeneity
A flow unit analysis tool is used to automatically identify the flow units based on the heterogeneity of the geological model layers. The heterogeneity can be defined using one or multiple properties and property ratios.
Upscaling using the UVT Transform™
Property upscaling uses the UVT Transform technology to ensure accurate mapping between the geological grid and the flow simulation grid in the presence of faults and stratigraphic boundaries.
Flow-based methods for permeability upscaling
In addition to the multiple averaging methods available, flow based techniques are offered to upscale permeability.
Quality control at every step
Every step of the LGR and Upscaling workflow provides volumetric comparison, grid quality assessment, and built-in HTML report, which include the user’s comments, parameters and 3D viewer snapshots.
SKUA-GOCAD LGR and Upscaling benefits:
- A comprehensive and powerful set of tools reconciles information across different scales.
- Workflow-driven approach is easy to use.
- Quality control, reporting and audit trail are built-in.
SKUA-GOCAD LGR and Upscaling features:
- Flow unit analyzer to easily identify which grid layers should be grouped to better capture flow heterogeneity during the grid coarsening process
- Use of stratigraphic information to accurately transfer properties across grids of different resolutions
- Appropriate use of property weighting for correct volumetric upscaling of net-to-gross, porosity, and water saturation
- Wide range of options for accurate upscaling permeability
- Easy construction of local grid refinements and export to commercial flow simulators
- Built-in quality control tools to assess loss of volume and grid quality during coarsening or refining processes
All Epos™-based applications enable interoperability with third-party data stores, including:
- RESQML 2.0.1
- OpenWorks® R5000.10
- Petrel* 2019 & 2018
- Recall™ 5.4.2
(*is a mark of Schlumberger )