Ongoing enhancements to structural uncertainty and Big Loop workflows
™ reservoir modeling software is a geosciences and reservoir engineering solution covering a wide range of functionalities for optimizing 3D reservoir models and enabling increased reservoir understanding. The software enables operators to flexibly integrate their data and capture and propagate uncertainties across their workflows, preserving data integrity from seismic to production. The RMS 12.1 release includes numerous new features and enhancements to RMS 12, that improve the user experience, and streamline reservoir modeling and Big Loop workflow.
RMS Structural Uncertainty
RMS 12.1 introduces improved data handling, the possibility to define the velocity model with linear velocity (LinVel), and an updated mathematical framework (COHIBA). This further enriches the RMS structure uncertainty technology which was first released in RMS 12, a result of a 3-year collaboration project between Equinor, the Norwegian Computing Center (NR) and Emerson. This technology greatly improves the handling of simple as well as highly complex reservoir structures, uncertainties and Big Loop
™ workflows, and offers a broad range of advanced capabilities:
- Unique mathematical framework for surface modeling and depth conversion, developed by NR
- Uncertainty handling for static volume uncertainty or towards Big Loop
- Seismic velocity handling while doing structure uncertainty
- Condition models to both well picks and zone log for optimized horizontal well conditioning, better depth maps and models
Other Key Features
- Big Loop Variables, first introduced in RMS 12, allow the use of an external orchestrator to control workflows. RMS 12.1 comes with several improvements that make it easier to set up, and an increased number of variables that can be controlled, including setting modes in jobs.
- Extended Roxar API support provides access to RMS project data and jobs using the Python language. It can also be used to create customized plug-ins. It is now possible to retrieve, copy and store data into other data object(s), run calculations, create new data items, create collections, create views, generate new projects, and more.
- Improved well planning functionality, with a tighter integration to the Big Loop workflow, and target editing in an interactive modern user interface enable easier target design.
- RMS 12.1 includes an updated RESQML data transfer tool that allows import and export of RESQML files independent of application or platform, and provides a method for exchanging data via an ETP server, such as Epos™. The tool is based on the plug-in framework, allowing it to be updated separately. Further updates and improvements will come in 2021. No additional license is required for the RESQML data transfer tool.
- Shorter, faster, and fully automated workflows greatly improve both structural uncertainty modeling and Big Loop solutions, providing optimal results faster and at lower cost.
- Big Loop Variables, simplified workflows, and improved openness and flexibility enhance RMS’s value as a key component of the Big Loop workflow. Running scenarios in a Big Loop setting has never been easier.
- Extended Roxar API support using the Python language improves product openness, productivity and customization.
- Improvements to charts, automation of grid filter and local update of facies regions heighten the user experience.
- The improved RESQML data transfer tool streamlines RESQML data import and export to and from RMS.
In case you missed it, here are key features from previous releases of RMS.
|RMS 11.1 enables a seamless workflow from geomodelling to reservoir simulation, like preparing dynamic well data for flow modeling.
Key Features and Benefits of RMS 11.1
- Powerful job and workflow concepts make it easy to set up, run and assess fully automated workflows in a wide variety of configurations.
- Flexible and intuitive visualization capabilities significantly enhance RMS as a platform spanning geological interpretation and structural modeling directly from raw seismic data, through reservoir modeling, all the way to reservoir engineering.
- High-performance solutions for modeling channelized reservoirs, defining regions in a unified and consistent manner, and automating structural modeling in highly faulted reservoirs.
- Excellent support for the preparation of dynamic data for flow simulation, particularly when addressing branched multilateral wells and advanced completions.
- A Roxar API and plug-in framework allows for customization and speedy innovation.
|A new intuitive graphical user interface in RMS 11 for facies modeling,
Key Features and Benefits of RMS 11
- A modern object-based algorithm for facies modeling of fluvial deposits, offering excellent conditioning to input data while providing extended flexibility through a new graphical user interface. As a first step towards modernizing the powerful property modeling offering in RMS, this new functionality greatly improves the user’s experience and performance.
- New regional modeling tools have been added for both structural and grid models. This concept uses geometric definitions of regions and their attributes in a unified fashion, for robust, automated, region-based workflows.
- Additional improvements to the user experience include:
- A fast and flexible data tree
- More navigation and visualization options to support Model-Driven Interpretation (MDI)
- Powerful tools to generate simulation-ready flow models
to learn more about RMS.